Halloween in Osaka Literally Stops Train Traffic

This was the first blog I posted on my new site, and pretty sure it was an excerpt from an email back home or an early attempt at documenting my experience in Japan. It's pretty eye-opening to read my earlier writing styles that thankfully (I hope) I've improved upon over the years. And some of the references...ooof...they don't quite translate properly when you jump 10 years into the future. 

In any case, while I revisit some of my older posts (and update a word here or there - thank you Grammarly!) I am reminded of that sweet time in my life. Reminded of how far I've come (despite always feeling like I've never quite reached those random goals I (and society) have subscribed to). And reminded of the benefits of documenting life, because of the sweet nostalgia reading those accounts brings. 



Original post...mostly:

Halloween is my second favorite holiday...next to Christmas. I am a hallmark addict full stop and I buy into all of the hype. I mean how can you not get into Halloween when you get to pretend you are someone else for a night? 

Halloween in Japan is pretty intense. All of the stores decorate and you can buy costumes and supplies in pretty much any store. Yet nobody actually celebrates the holiday in the way I was used to back home. AKA tricks and treats as you wander about town on a sugar high.

Except of course for us crazy gaigin (foreigners) who inflict our somewhat arrogant madness wherever we choose to wander. In Osaka gaigin and a smattering of locals dress up and gather at the first stop of the Loop Line train. A train that basically travels in a loop around Osaka. There were thousands of people dressed to the nines, carrying bags of convenience store alcohol and intentions for a night of embarrassing drunkenness. 

Rumors swirled about the timing of the train that we would all pile into, and at last, the moment came. We squished messily onto the sleek JR (Japan Rail) train. I felt terribly sorry for the poor commuters who were stuck on the train (and believe me...they were stuck). It was perhaps the most uncomfortable I've ever been. I found an empty lap on the train and sat down, not really sure who was beneath me, and we proceeded to go around the route, ambitious gaigin jumping out and attempting to switch trains at every stop. 

It was a night to be remembered...but perhaps not repeated!! Next was off to the bars...

P.S. I've since heard that this is pretty frowned upon these days. Probably rightfully so. But man, it was a time. 

Comments