I'll Be a Bum, if You Provide the Beach: Dominican Republic

I always said I could never be a beach bum. Frowned on it almost.  Like it was a waste of precious vacation money and time.  But I have since discovered, to my delight and humility, that I can handle that lifestyle just fine, thank you very much.

Recently I was lucky enough to be treated to a wonderful week at the Riu Merengue resort in Puerta Plata. I won't go on about the Dominican Republic because there's only so much you can say about resort life.  But here are some of the highlights, good and bad.


 The Good

Life's a beach when you're at the beach so every minute is pretty sweet, but here are some of the highlights:
  • Water aerobics every day at 11:30A.M., which basically amounted to a bunch of adults splashing around and smiling awkwardly at each other’s awkwardness. And after that, our post-workout drink of Spanish coffee. You know…just to cancel out any effect the workout might have had.
  • French fries with ketchup and mayo at midnight after a cheesy resort show and a couple good hours of either dancing on the patio, walking on the beach or sipping drinks after dinner. 
  • Eating whatever I wanted, from tacos to doughnuts and repeating the mantra "I'm on vacation, I'll be good when I'm back" (even though of course I was not good when I got back).
  • The swans, frogs, puppies, snakes and all of the other wonderful towel animals that were left for us when we returned to our rooms. You know they make you smile!!! 
  • Michael Jackson night. Need I say more? Everyone should be treated to this at least once a year!
  • Getting Caught in rain...and of course, drinking Pina Coladas at "it's twelve o’ clock somewhere."
  • Snorkelling off the beach and exploring the underwater world that exists even when I’m sitting in my grey cubicle wondering why life can sometimes be so bland.
  • Dancing on the beach under an almost full moon with friends that surprised me with their out-of-shell selves.
  •  Massages on the beach - does life get any better than that?
  • A week without internet - does life get any better than that?
The feeling that life is good and that everything will be figured out - just as soon as I get back!

The Bad and the Ugly

  • The inevitable day 1 burn – ouch.
  • Weekends at the resort are pretty unpleasant once you've gotten used to having the run of the place.  It's packed, there are line-ups a mile long for food, and you can't walk two feet in the pool without stepping on someone else's feet.
  •  I like to explore, and being confined (for my own safety) to the borders of the resort, as lovely as it is, feels a bit claustrophobic. I went on an extended run one morning up a hill at one end of the resort. My internal danger alert system went off when I passed a series of garbage-strewn huts with a few interested locals, but I figured I was already there so it couldn't hurt too much to continue. So I did and it was amazing. Serene and sunny, with a miles-wide view of the ocean and rolling hills. And total and complete isolation. It was so indescribably pleasant. I returned to tell my group about my adventures and was scolded for my "stupidity" at going off-resort. Undeterred I decided to check in with the front desk to see if they were out to lunch. I asked if it was safe to go running where I had been and the receptionist stated simply "I wouldn't recommend it." Then I asked if it would be fine if I went with someone else and she said again "I wouldn't recommend it.” So that was the end of my life “off resort.” 
  • Groupthink...lol I'll say no more ;). 
All in all, I had such a good time that while I sit in said grey cubicle, I drift back to that chair on the beach, kobo in my hand, “drinkie” by my side, and I wish I were there!


Comments