Two Roads Diverged: Quoting my Way into 2015...

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - 
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.  (Robert Frost)

My fearless cousin Kendra reminded me of this poem at Thanksgiving. It's a meaningful one for those of us that have not necessarily found ourselves on a similar path to many of our peers. Sometimes by choice. Often by chance. But as I reflect on 2014 here's what I realize. It's okay. Life in a different hue or with a different story is not any less rich.

I might not be settled with the love of my life (yet), but I have been loved fiercely at times. Sometimes not enough (and vice versa) and all of it has left me rich in emotions and experiences which I hold dear. I have also been afforded the time in my independence to gather a group of friends that I would consider my second family and that have welcomed me into their new families with open hands and hearts. 

I might not have a house and a mortgage (or much room to call my own), but I have a "penthouse" apartment in a "vintage" (aka really old and sometimes smelly) building filled with treasures from my travels that warm me to the core each time I look at them. It is cozy, it is me and I love it so.

I might not be able to afford to stay in luxury suites, but I have been lucky enough to live in four countries and travel to 37 and counting. I wouldn't trade this for much.

You get the idea, and sometimes it's a helpful reminder. At the end of the day, I have enough, and in certain areas much more. Of course, there are things I aspire to (and that is where the New Year's resolutions come in), but I can't (or shouldn't) complain. I always find that before looking forward, it's also beneficial to look back at how far you've come, what's worked well and what didn't work at all. Some good questions to ask on your past year can be found here: http://into-mind.com/2014/12/16/your-year-in-review-50-questions-to-help-you-reflect-appreciate-and-get-excited-for-2015/

I still want the house, and the kid(s) and all of the trappings of the path that has become traditional. But my very own, sometimes erratic, path has shown me great things. As with anyone else, I'm often anxious to know the end game, but a friend reminded me today that knowing the exact route would make the day-to-day much less exciting.  

I thought it would be fun to re-iterate my goals this year in the form of popular quotes. 


1. Shake things up


Never thought I'd be in a rock choir but last year I got to sing at Koerner Hall with Steven Page, sing on television for a friend's proposal and up next, we're singing at Carnegie hall under the direction of Deke Sharon! You just never know where you'll end up when you try something new.
  • I have some life goals that require a bit of planning, so that will be the focus of this area of my life. Some of them are going to take some guts I'm not quite sure I have and a lot of reflection.
  • I'm going to pay attention to what Carl Jung calls my "earthly pursuits".

2. Find focus (writing/career path) 
The book moved forward this year, but not nearly far enough. I'm great at getting distracted by life. I was lucky enough to be trained as a six sigma blackbelt at work. I'm looking forward to applying that and working on a path forward for my career. 

  • The book will be done and ready at least for self-publishing this year (I will spend at least four hours a week writing).
  • The next step for writing will be determined (blog focus, other stories, new course...who knows).
  • I will "read to write" and finish 12 books (a combination of self-help, pleasure, and work).
  • I will post a blog per month...just for fun!

3. Make a positive impact
Be kind to myself and others. Have integrity.
  • Volunteer more.
  • Consider the environment in all I do (it's way too warm this winter).
  • Be less defensive, entitled and quick to react.



4. Curb my shopaholic tendencies
The never-ending battle of the bills. I either need to win that lottery, take on a part-time job, or stop yelling "charge-it" at every hint of a deal.

  • I will reach the goal I set financially by using Mint to track my budget.
  • I will try to shop my closets for another year and learn how to cook a few things that aren't breakfast-based (I'm a mean egg scrambler) to save a bit on meals out.
  • When I feel the urge to shop, I will call a friend instead and work on one of my regular goals to keep in contact with more people.

5. Experiences not things and 6. Travel Somewhere


I had a big trip last year so I will have to take it a bit easy this time around. In terms of non-travel-related experiences, I sang on TV (twice), learned how to throw an axe, went to some great concerts, etc. So, all in all got some good experiences. 
  • New York is the next trip. I've been there many a time but this year it's for our exciting Carnegie Hall Debut. I would like to head to Costa Rica, or to the three remaining spots on my "settle down" list (India, South Africa, and Antarctica), but they might need to wait a bit longer. 

7. Open my heart up to possibilities


Enough said. #8 will help with this one. I am also going to try to get used to the thought of not being as independent as I have become and consider the idea of leaving some room and time for someone else in my schedule (which is really only so busy because I choose to make it that way).

8. Be mindful and physical
My mind is on fire most of the time.

  • I'm going to make a conscious effort to learn how to breathe again (10 minutes a day of meditation).
  • I will complete a 10k or half marathon.
  • I will stick to a healthy eating plan and get it together exercise-wise (including sorting out some physical strains and pains that I keep ignoring) - 5 days a week exercise (combo weights and cardio), regular stretching and massages/baths to recuperate using myfitnesspal to track.

9. Relax expectations
As I've said before, it's the most frustrating thing in the world to "should" all over the place. 
  • I will spend less time (set daily times) on social media and more time on good-brain food (books, magazines, writing).
  • I will focus on being more accountable to my values and getting rid of guilt over what I think I "should" do.

The how: Weekly goal lists, monthly check-ins and accountability partners who will keep me on track.  

I came across a cool thing called rememberlutions which I'm going to use throughout the year. The idea is that you add to the jar a record of things as they happen, leaving you at the end of the year with a jar full of memories and accomplishments.  

I will also be starting a mini-time capsule video at the end of each year. At my parent's house this Christmas my Dad shared a tape he had come across of an 8-year-old me and it is pretty amazing to get to know your former self.

It's a lot. No pressure though :). I'll do what I can, prioritize and relax expectations on the rest.

What did you learn looking back on last year? What is your plan for the year to come?

Wishing you all a fabulous year!


Comments

Unknown said…
Ambitious! Good luck, and I can be one of those people you call when you need help!
Anonymous said…
Love your photos and quotes Carrie! Inspiring blog!! I love your authenticity. Cheers to 2015 and no shoulding all over the place.. ;) xox
Nick P said…
Good read :) x