2013 Thank you for the Lessons. 2014, Let’s get this Party Started!

Wind's in the east, mist comin' in.
Like something is brewin' about to begin
Can't put me finger on what lies in store
But I feel what's to happen, all happened before. (Mary Poppins)

Well, I must admit that I truly thought that committing my New Year’s Resolutions to a blog would keep me on track. But as with any other year, certain plans were forgotten as the busyness of life crept in. But the stuff that makes up the busyness of life really is what it’s all about so I’m not complaining!

Looking back at last year’s resolutions I realize that I still want to commit to the same goals.  It was a lot to expect that I would achieve all of the resolutions in one single solitary year. But if I can live my life in the direction of meeting these goals (with a few minor tweaks here and there) I think I’ll be kicking some butt, my butt, for years to come. 

And as Mary Poppins would say “Well begun is half done.” So I’m already halfway there (in most areas lol)!

Here they are again:

1. Shake things up

I did shake some things up this year. I continued to rock it out in Toronto’s number #1 rock choir, and even mustered up the courage to audition for a solo, which I got (to Lordes' Royals no less)! Oi vey now I actually have to get on stage and sing iteek!  We have lots of concerts coming up in the New Year which I’ll tell ya all about when more details are available. We’ve also done a few flash mobs and had a lot of fun doing all of the things that I love (singing, dancing, and of course drinking ;)). Again, you can check them out here

2. Find focus (namely for my writing but this also applies to my general career path) 

While joining the choir brought a lot of great people and experiences into my life, it also took up a lot of time that ultimately took away from the novel writing. I managed to read through the massive first draft of “I Love Here” a couple of times and made some tough decisions on some things that will need to go, but I really need to commit more to this over the first few months of 2014. I will also blog more and start that wonderful anonymous dating blog (if I haven’t already J).

I also took on a more challenging role at work this year and while it has provided me with my fair share of experiences and learning, it took a lot of energy away from my search for the ultimate career next step.  Hence I will also be recommitting to that this year.

3. Make a positive impact

I said last year that I wanted to start to be a lot more kind, patient, and appreciative with everyone. From those friends and family in my immediate circle to those I interact with in any number of day-to-day settings. I must say that I didn’t make as much progress in this as I would have liked. But at a minimum, I thought a lot more about this as I was getting frustrated.

This year I’d also like to add to this goal “To thine own self be kind.” I realized that while I am tough on others, I am also really tough on myself.  And if you can’t be nice to yourself then why should anyone else be?

4. Curb my shopaholic tendencies

Well, I didn’t get a grip on this and my bills actually went up. But I have a plan, and I’m going to get a hold of this in 2014.

5. Experiences not things.  

See  #4. I did lots of things, but I bought lots of things as well when life got a little hectic, so still working on this one.  I did do some cool stuff though: volunteering at the Teddy Bear Affair and the Santa Claus Parade. Osheaga Music festival. Cottage trips and spa visits and lots of fun nights out (including a couple of awesome weddings)!

6. Travel somewhere

I got one wonderful and restful trip to the Dominican Republic in this year, but next year will be a little more exciting with a trip to Scotland to celebrate 60 years since my mom came to Canada and a quick stop in Iceland on the way. I’ve still gotta knock Africa (any country at this point) and India off of my list over the next few years so stay tuned for more adventures on that front.

7. Open my heart up to possibilities

I did, and it had unexpected and pretty awesome consequences. I actually remember initiating things and thinking, “this is probably a waste of time” and yet as a result I welcomed a pretty amazing person into my life. We have about a million obstacles in our way, but sometimes despite known risks, you owe it to your life story to at least give it a try.

8. Be mindful and physical

This is a recurring resolution that requires daily work: trying to stop my runaway mind and to be in the moment.  

I would really like to add to this mindful piece by seeing the world and my experience through different lenses. Often that’s all it takes to turn frustration into gratitude. This will help me with one of my biggest challenges which is to just live my life and try not to worry too much about all the FB feeds of babes and all of that stuff that I’m “supposed” to have at this point in life. Because those Jonses are never as sorted as they seem.

On the physical side, I still want to commit to getting to my happy weight.  I didn’t get there this year, but I did run a half marathon, complete a boot camp and do two awesome fun runs, the Ugly Sweater Run and Color me Rad so altogether not so bad.



9. Relax expectations

I still love this one. Letting go of expectations of myself and others, so that I’m not “shoulding” all over the place as Susan Stewart would say.  I also need to stop worrying about other people’s expectations of me (as long as I’m living with integrity of course). I’ll let that be their battle.

I do want to however become a bit more stringent on a few expectations of myself that I think will improve my quality of life: looking at my smartphone less and being on time more.

That’s it that’s all! 

Here’s to another year of moving closer to our goals and enjoying every moment of the journey along the way! 



Comments