It's 2016 Already? Here we go Again...

It was a good year. 

I got to make people happy (I hope ;)) by doing one of the things I love most:
  • Singing in my rock choir gave me the opportunity to fulfil a lifetime goal that (as one of my choir colleagues stated) I never even knew I had. Singing at Carnegie hall to a full house filled with most of the people I love under the direction of one of the most inspirational music directors of all time, Deke Sharon, was a dream. 
  • I got to contribute to people’s special days: singing at weddings, charity events, corporate events, crazy flashmobs to raise money to sponsor Syrian refugee families coming to Canada, connecting with friends through random singing events and carolling amazingness, and I was even lucky enough to be asked to contribute to a video on kindness for the Toronto Star that restored my faith in humanity at a time where it’s hard to do so. http://www.thestar.com/news/2015/12/25/is-toronto-kind-.html
I also got to spend a lot of quality time with all of the quality people in my life doing a lot of really fun stuff. And landed a new job that is giving me the opportunity to explore more and challenge myself in different ways.
    
But then, it was Christmastime, 2015. Generally my favourite time of year. And I felt anxious. It had gotten to the point where I had so overcommitted myself that I felt annoyed when I had to go out and wasn’t able to sit at home and enjoy some downtime with Christmas lights and carols. Getting dressed felt like a chore. Being cheerful felt unnatural. Buying gifts and braving the mall felt like torture (keep in mind that these are normally things that bring me great pleasure). I had maxed out. It might not have been evident from the outside, but inside I had turned into a bit of a –gasp- Grinch. I’d channelled old Ebenezer. Clearly, things were out of whack.

How many times in a given year have you heard yourself (or others) say:
  • I’m so tired
  • I’m so busy/overwhelmed
  • I never have time for myself
I say these things all the time. Pretty much on the daily. Almost as a precursor to anything else that comes of my mouth. But really beyond holding down a job so that I have a place to live and food to eat, I choose to do everything else. All those things that keep me busy and take away from some of the harder, but more rewarding stuff I should be doing, are my choice.

Therefore my New Year’s Resolution this year is to create a different state of affairs so that I don’t hit max capacity. I’m going to start doing more things that nourish me (exercise, sleep), and less that take away (social media, endless social occasions). Saying no and respecting that plans can simply consist of me working on my writing, or being by myself and not feeling guilty about it. Basically bringing things a little more into equilibrium and focusing more on fewer things. 

So the watchwords for 2016 become: Balance, Peace, Happy, Energized, Engaged and Focused. 

And some of this year's highlights I hope will include: 
  • Being financially healthy (no unnecessary new things, focus)
  • Being physically strong and happy (lots of exercise, less pizza)
  • Being comfortable calling myself a part-time writer (finish the book, start something new, pitch an idea)
  • Being more balanced time-wise so there's space to think and create (JOMO you know;)).
  • Being someone who is able to let go of the things that suck energy (Pick battles, let go of the toxic)
  • Continuing to put myself out there and do things that make the world a little happier!
Last year I was really hopeful about certain situations and excited about specific things.  This year it's kind of all up in the air again.  Which is both frightening and exciting (I guess lol). I'm still going to be doing my best to kick the shit out of option B and be happy doing it. I hope your year's great!

Happy New Year!


Comments